Jewelry can be made from various metals, each with their own advantages and disadvantages, and is ultimately a personal preference. Each metal has other metals, or alloys, added to its pure state to improve its workability, durability and appearance. For engagement rings, platinum and gold alloys are the best choices. Fashion jewelry can additionally be made with silver and other alloys.
Platinum was a very popular metal used in the early 1900’s up until World War II, when it was classified as a strategic metal and only permitted in military applications. White gold became available around this time, and slowed the regaining of platinum’s market share, though it has seen a strong comeback in the last decade or two.
Platinum is a true white metal and is used in a very pure 950 parts out of 1000, or 95%. The remaining 50 parts, or 5%, is usually copper, cobalt or platinum group metals such as palladium, ruthenium or iridium. It is thirty times more rare and 1.7 times more dense than gold. Because of this, platinum jewelry is more expensive than gold.
It is hypoallergenic, so is an excellent choice for people with sensitive skin. Because of platinum’s unique properties, when banged or scratched, the metal displaces rather than scratches. Because of this, there is little to no metal loss, and the ring will weight the same eighty years from now.
Platinum is an excellent white metal for delicate and intricate designs. It is pure, rare and hypoallergenic. It is the most expensive metal and is the recommended choice, if the budget allows. AllD.NEAjewelry is available in aneco-friendly950 platinum with 50 parts of copper.
Gold has been used for thousands of years as the symbol for wealth and status. It comes out of the ground as a deep yellow colored metal and is strong, yet malleable.
The purity of gold is measured in karats (kt.), with 24 karat being 100% pure gold. In jewelry, the most common purities are 18 karat (18 parts out of 24 parts, or 75% pure gold) or 14kt (14/24 or 58.5% [rounded] pure gold).
Various alloys are mixed to create different colors and properties of gold. Yellow gold alloys usually include silver, copper and other metals. The alloys of yellow gold we work with do not quite match the tones and saturations of our yellow diamonds, and may be better matched in a white metal, though is a personal preference.
White gold is most commonly made with silver, nickel, zinc or palladium. Some people are allergic to nickel, causing skin rashes. Gold alloys are also available in a pink or rose color as well as green, red and some other exotic colors.
Gold is harder than platinum, and when it is banged or scratched, small bits of metal are scraped away. Over many years a gold ring will slowly thin.
Gold is a classic choice for any jewelry design. It is a timeless symbol of prosperity and can come in multiple colors, primarily yellow and white. It is also a more cost-effective choice than platinum. All D.NEA jewelry is available in an eco-friendly 18 karat gold alloy with palladium.
Natural 18kt white gold has a “warm” white color to it, so most white gold is rhodium plated, which gives it that bright white look you see in most jewelry stores. Over time, the rhodium plating can wear off, but most any local jeweler can re-plate your ring in just a few minutes, usually for free or a modest fee. You may also request that jewelry be completed without the rhodium plating. If you later decide you want it “whiter” any jeweler can add the rhodium plating later on.
Palladium is a sister-metal to platinum. It shares many similar properties to platinum, though palladium is a relative newcomer in jewelry applications. It is less dense and more affordable than platinum, with a price point comparable to white gold. It is a naturally white metal, so does not require rhodium plating.
Platinum silver is a unique alloy combining the affordability of silver with the strength and tarnish-resistance of platinum. It is made of 925 parts silver and 35 parts platinum, per 1000 parts with the remainder being primarily copper. The addition of platinum makes it whiter than both sterling silver and white gold, as well as harder, more durable and six times more tarnish resistant than traditional sterling silver. It is our way of offering an affordable luxury for much of ourfashion jewelry
Sterling silver has been used for centuries in jewelry, currency and many other applications. It is composed of 925 parts silver and 75 parts copper, out of 1000 parts. While we recommend the platinum silver for its added benefits, we also offer ourfashion jewelryin aneco-friendlysterling silver.
There are many other metals and alloys that are used in jewelry, including many industrial metals such as titanium or tungsten, though D.NEA focuses on the most common and popular metals. If you would like jewelry in another metal or alloy, please contact us